For all intents and purposes this was meant to be a muslin for the Sureau dress sewalong hosted by ::paunett:: and the designer of the pattern, Deer & Doe. I mean, I used stash fabric (I like to make a muslin in something colourful because it keeps me cheery as I make adjustments), I corrected fitting issues (nipped that sucker in the waist by an inch) and didn't even bother with facings because it was a practise. But as I roughly finished the bodice up I realised this pattern and this fabric were totes meant to be. I mean, random cotton and Amanda trying to decipher a French pattern should really end up as a hot mess but in this case it was cute as a button! I carefully unpicked all of the basting and set to work sewing this sucker up properly. And check out the finished result. Hello epic sundress!
So this frock is meant to be a lovely long sleeved number but it is summer here and time to show off the
And this pattern is so great my Sureau even looks rather snazzy at the back! The gathers help create some nice waist definition though looking at this photo I kind of want to add a brown belt. Urge to accessorise growing...
But enough sassy photos- we need to talk about the pattern...
What I loved:
- The easy construction of the dress. Everything was out together in a logical way and it was a breeze to construct.
- The bust gathers. I'm officially obsessed.
- The yoke. I loved making this white so it looked like a teeny floral tuxedo top. And itty bitty yellow buttons? Hello, someone's on the train to awesome town!
What I will change for next time:
- Take more care with the bias binding. I didn't clip the curves well enough so I feel that the edges aren't sitting as well as they could. Take your time, Amanda!
- I'd like to make a long sleeved version for winter. So that is totes on my list for winter style 2013.
- Otherwise, there is nothing here to change. Well played, Deer & Doe. Well played!
So let me break this down to y'all in a few a words as possible. I am in love with this frock and I need more Sureaus in my life. I may or may not be currently working on another version in a sassy Japansese fabric but I am afraid I cannot confirm or deny that story until my next blog post. Now, let me distract you from guessing my upcoming project with a sighting of a well dressed T-Rex spotted in front of my house...